Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wilmington, Delaware

I decided that today I was going to do a history trip, since I haven't  done one in awhile. I researched Wilmington online, and it turns out there is more than one. There is also a Wilmington in Massachusetts. The history of Wilmington isn't too exciting.

 Back in colonial times, it was simply known as Willington after the first land adapter, Thomas Willing. The first colony was set up by Finland and Sweden in 1638. The land fell to the Dutch in 1655, and later to the British. Under the British reign was the name changed to Wilmington, after Spencer Compton, earl of Wilmington.

Wilmington has benefited over the years from the laws of Delaware, which favor corporate management. It is the official headquarters of many corporations that otherwise do little or no business in the state. 

Wilmington College has grown rapidly since its founding in 1968 and now has campuses throughout the state. Goldey-Beacom College, a private co-educational college founded in 1886, has its campus in a suburb of Wilmington. Wiedner University, based in Chester, Pennsylvania, has a branch campus in Wilmington.

WOW! I never would have guessed that big corporations don't like to do business in Delaware! And, uh, I never would have guessed that it's name was originally Willington too..... but anyway. Though I didn't get out and see the sights, I learned the underlying story. I guess you could say I had an EDUCATIONAL time in Wilmington.








No comments:

Post a Comment